Happiness Activity: Acts Of Kindness

kindness in words creates confidence.
kindness in thinking creates profoundness.
kindness in giving creates love.
Lao Tzu

Seeing as ‘acts of kindness’ is apparently one of the happiness activities that I may find the most rewarding, I have decided I am going to do five good deeds per week – no matter how small (I was going to say no matter how big, or small – but let’s be realistic here, I can’t afford to pay for someone to go on a round the world trip, so that just ain’t gonna happen).

Apparently if you’re going to do 5 small things for others for optimum ‘happiness results’ it’s best to do them all in one day, otherwise they may not be distinguishable from what you would normally do, but I figure baby steps first, right? Right. Anyway, here’s what I’ve done so Far:

• Ordered something from Mighty Ape for my mother; it should arrive within the next week and a half, and I’m pretty sure it will be a surprise, well I hope it will be!
  • Bought a friend coffee.
  • Taken my laptop to work everyday that Dan has been working, so I can play music, as well as have the iTunes visualisations going in the background; they seem to cheer him up, which is awesome as it lowers my stress levels.

So far, all of these things have been rewarding, and even though I’m not in the best mood right now, writing about them seems to be cheering me up a bit, who would have thought? Certainly not me; now all I need to do is figure out what the other two deeds will be, and who they will be for.

6 comments

1. cinquecentoproject says:

Sweet. I started my blog recently as a way to focus on the positive as I am adjusting to living overseas. So far, I just list the 5 highlights of each day, maybe I should strive to get at least one of those things to be an act of kindness. I value compassion and strive for compassionate interactions with everyone I meet, I’m gonna have to think about whether kindness is already encompassed within compassion or if it is that “extra step”? Hm.

• xoxBubbles says:

Heya, just checked out and subscribed to your blog :)

Hope the move overseas has gone well, and you’re finding it easy to adjust to the positive, where have you moved?

Also, being compassionate is totally an act of kindness, especially in those times when it takes all you have to muster an ounce of it xx

2. bigtimesensualitynz says:

Go you! Remember, acts of kindness do not have to involve money at all. :) It can be as simple as offering to make someone at work a coffee, or bringing in your neighbour’s rubbish bins for them. It can also be things like picking up rubbish off the street – that’s a broader act of kindness for the community as a whole. They seem like such small things, but people really don’t do things like that for each other any more. It’s really sad.

• xoxBubbles says:

Awwww, thanks lovely,

I reckon that the small things are the ones that make the most difference, maybe I get set off a ‘pay it forward’ type chain, which would be awesome :)

As for kindness for the community – totally, the person (or people) don’t need to be aware what has been don (or who did it), as long as you do, which is awesome xx

3. cinquecentoproject says:

I moved to Catania, Sicily. I love it!

Daily compassion for me is mostly trying to consider what is going on for another person- before I can try to help someone, I first must listen to them to hear what their needs are. Of course, simple acts are instinctive (like bringing in trash bins and such).

• xoxBubbles says:

That sounds awesome, I really want to move overseas to work – for a few years at least, how long are you planning on staying in Sicily?

Finding out what is going on for someone and then helping them is awesome, it also reminds me that before I do things for other people I need to remember what their love language is, because it’s just so easy for me to do something that I’d appreciate rather than do something I find difficult but that would be more rewarding for that person xx