It’s that time again, the yearly review – here’s is what 2013 looked like for me
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
A couple of things, we bought our first home and got married.
2. Did you keep your new years resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t make resolutions, I make goals – I think I completed/achieved most of goals I had set myself. I’ll definitely be making some next year
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, my brother’s partner Tamara. I am now aunty to the fattest, cutest baby girl EVER.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes, the daughter of some family friends. She was a year younger than me, and it SUCKED. Aside from that, I think I went to more funerals this year than I have in the past five years.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
Travel, happiness and steady employment.
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
There are two dates – the 18th of October and the 5th of November. October was when we moved into our apartment, and we got married in November.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
There are two: getting a job after almost of year of being unemployed, and moving into OUR first home.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not believing in myself enough. It’s probably why I was unemployed for so long. Protip: If you’re scared you’re not going to get the job because you’re not good enough, you’re probably not going to get the job.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was sick a lot more this year than last and started getting (really) painful periods again. Turns out I had polyps and I may also have endometriosis.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
OUR APARTMENT. WE OWN OUR OWN HOME. Sorry for yelling, it still seems pretty surreal.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Not sure this year.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I’m not going to name names.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food, scented candles, Christmas presents; and a fuck tonne of shit I don’t need. I need to remember how little I spent when I didn’t have a job (nothing) and stop spending my money on crap I could really live without.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Episode. It was well worth the wait too, ALL OF THE FEELS; ALL OF THEM.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
According to my last.fm profile, the song I played most this year was: Get Lucky – Daft Punk feat Pharrell Williams. It doesn’t really stand out as being a song about 2013; it was just really catchy.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Not sure
ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner, but not by much
iii. richer or poorer? Richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Applied for more jobs, and believed in myself.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Less self loathing. Biggest trap I fall into, but it’s just so easy.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent Christmas at home with the husband (weird word to say) eating turkey. It’s now our plan for next year (and every other year).
22. Did you fall in love in 2014?
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
The regulars: New Girl, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Doctor Who, Russell Howard’s Good News; and Never Mind The Buzzcocks .
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I’ve said it before, hate is a waste of space. There have been some people that have completely pissed me off, but I don’t hate them.
26. What was the best book you read?
I can’t remember what books I read in ’13, sad I know! Anyone got any recommendations for some good 2014 reads, holla.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Passenger and Bastille.
28. What did you want and get?
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Iron Man 3 – I think that may have been the only film I saw at the movies though. I also saw Some Like It Hot for the first time, and holy shit that movie is awesome.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Had coffee with mum the day before my birthday and dinner with dad and his partner the day of; I turned 29.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Same as it’s been for the past couple of years: Clothes that fit and are flattering to my body type – so basically a whole lot of dresses and skirts.
34. What kept you sane?
Work, Doctor Who Sundays, my husband; and moving into a place that has a bath
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Mayer Hawthorne. UNF.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss?
38. Who was the best new person you met?
The lovely people I have met through work: Tania, Reese, Toni, Tracy, Chris, Simone, Melody…
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013:
It takes a lot of courage to stand up for yourself, recognise your limits/triggers and defend what is true and right for you even if that means certain doors closing. I’m going to leave this here, because it’s a lesson I lneed to remind myself of every year
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
And I’m not proud of My distress
With a torn up bowel
Constant food envy
Royals (Gluten Free version)