Hi guys, In yesterday’s post I said that I was going to post the recipe for the lavender lemonade I made over the weekend, and here we are (look at me, keeping my blogging promises).
We were housesitting over the weekend and seeing as my MiL has about 5 lavender bushes and the little lemon tree that could (seriously, this tree is about two foot tall and has lemons all over it) I decided it was the ideal time to try it (I had wanted to make it for a while).
I think the main reasons I hadn’t made it before now, are that a) I live in the middle of the city and have no idea where to get lavender from and b) I thought it was going to be really hard to make (spoiler alert, it was so easy; it’s just a lavender infused simple syrup and lemon juice)
- A small handful of freshly picked and rinsed lavender flowers (or a tablespoon of dried lavender flowers, anyone in Wellington know where I can dried lavender flowers, or lavender powder from?)
- 1C sugar
- 2C boiling water
- 1 1/2C freshly squeezed lemon juice (I think I used about 20 lemons)
- 2 C cold water
- Remove lavender flowers from stems and place in a medium bowl (something you can pour from easily is ideal). Add in the sugar and gently rub the lavender flowers into the sugar.
- Pour the boiling water into the bowl and stir until the sugar has melted. cover and leave to infuse for at least 30 minutes (I think I left mine for about an hour and a half).
- Strain the lavender-infused simple syrup and pour into a pitcher/jug.
- Stir in the lemon juice and add the 2 cups of cold water.
Easy, right? You can always add more sugar/lemon juice if you think it’s too tart/sweet.
If you decide to make this, leave a comment letting me know how you got on and what you thought about it. I thought it was weird, but really good and made some more last night (I may or may not have brought an ice cream container of lavender home with me for the sole purpose of making some more lavender lemonade).