Confession – I am a latecomer to the world of makeup; I turned 30 this year and have only really starting wearing it recently (I’ve had a few lipsticks and mascaras over the years but noting more than that). So, why wasn’t I into makeup until now? It’s partly because I’m lazy and couldn’t really be bothered and partly because I cared too much about what people would think or say (her eyeliner’s all wonky, she’s trying too hard, OMG she looks hideous… my inner critic is no nice!)
Anyway, lately I’ve been buying quite a bit of makeup, and I thought I’d share my recent favourites with you.
While we were in Auckland, I went to the benefit counter at Smith & Caughey’s (we don’t have a benefit store in Wellington, and was kicking myself for not getting the they’re real push-up liner while we were in Canada earlier this year). While we were there one of the girls at the counter sat me in a chair and got me to try a bunch of products (I knew it was to get me to buy more than intended to, and it worked); I ended up buying benetint, benebalm, the they’re real makeup remover and the push-up liner (I haven’t used the eyeliner yet, I’m still getting used to drawing a straight line, so I’m waiting until I feel confident enough to use it). I also got a few samples (the they’re real mascara and some foundation; I will definitely be purchasing both of these awhen the samples run out).
My favourites so far have been:
- benetint: it can be used as a cheek stain, or a lip tint; I find it a bit too watery to use on my lips, but LOVE it as a cheek stain. It just gives a really nice rosy tint to the cheeks (it looks a hell of a lot brighter/vivid in the bottle than it does on the skin).
- Benebalm: this is a tinted lip balm is super creamy and moisturising (as soon as I tried it on, I knew I had to buy it).
- They’re Real Mascara: this stuff makes me eyelashes so long; I am so glad I bought the makeup remover, because it’s a bit of a bitch to get off my with regular stuff.
I’ve only bought three Rimmel products recently and I love each of them, they are:
- Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate Moss (05): this lipstick is a bit lighter on the lips than what I would usually wear, so I have been wearing it on top of my benebalm.
- Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate Moss (09): this colour comes off quite a bit darker on my lips than the swatch I did on my hand in-store, so it isn’t something I would wear on a day-to-day basis. I do like the colour though, and would definitely wear it on a night out/for a special occasion.
- Exaggerate Eyeliner: I’m getting my eyeliner practice with this, and when I feel that I’ve got a straight line down will move on to the they’re real liner.
What are your favourite makeup purchases, and are you a newbie to the world of makeup as I am, or a seasoned veteran?