I’ll be in Auckland for a day and a bit in April, and have nothing planned; my husband will be attending a conference, and because it means getting out of town, I decided to tag along. We arrive at 7:30 in the morning (ugh, early morning flights), and aside from dropping our bags off at the hotel so I don’t have to cart them around the city all day, and getting breakfast, I have no idea what I’m going to do.
Phillip’s conference will be all day, so I’ll be wandering around Auckland solo; exploring a city by myself scares the crap out of me, but because this year is about doing more things that scare me, I’m going to do it (part of me wants to hide away in the hotel when our room is ready, but I’m making a conscious decision not to do that).
I’ve written a list of a few things I’d like to do while I’m exploring Auckland by myself, and thought I’d share it with you.
- Get the ferry to Devonport: I’ve never been to Devonport, apparently it only takes about 10 – 15 minutes to get there; so I thought it might be nice to get a morning ferry to and spend a couple of hours on the North Shore.
- Go Shopping: It’s a holiday, so of course there will be shopping involved. I’m going to make sure that I go to the Benefit counter and Smith and Caughey’s (we don’t have a benefit counter in Wellington) so I can get a full size They’re Real mascara (my samples are almost out).
- Go to Britomart: I really want to go to Milse; their macaron look amazing, and I really want to try their salted caramelia hot chocolate. I also want to get some frozen yoghurt from White’s & Co, because when out of town, the rule is you need to eat all the delicious food on offer… right?
- Go to the Auckland Domain: Despite the Domain only being a 10 – 15 minute walk from the hotel we usually stay at, we’ve never been, so Im going to make sure I check it out this time around. I’m not sure if I’m going to go to the Domain while Phillip is at his conference, or with the day after his conference (our flight home is in the afternoon).
- Wedges from Revel on K-Road: When we were in Auckland last Feb, I think we went there every day just for the wedges; they were so good.
- Other things: Gelato from Giapo. cookies from Moustache Milk & Cookie Bar (they usually have at least one gluten free cookie in store), go to the Auckland art gallery and go op-shopping on K-Road.
If you have any other ideas of things I could do, or see while I’m Auckland, please let me know. I’m terrified of exploring the (well, any) city solo, so I want to keep myself as busy as possible while Phillip is at his conference. I don’t drive, so will be staying around the CBD area, as I’m not a huge fan of Auckland’s public transport system.